Teaching on Solid Ground
Knowledge Foundations for the Teacher of English
Thomas M. McCann and John V. Knapp
Foreword by Carol D. Lee
Introduction: The Importance of Pedagogical Content for the Teaching of English
1. Knowing the Territory of Literature
3. The Territory of Writing: What Makes for Good Writing?
4. The Territory of Writing: How Can We Facilitate Growth?
5. The Territory of Oral Discourse
6. The Territory of Language: What Do We Teach When We Teach Language?
7. What English Teachers Should Know
Appendix A. What is the “Business” of Teaching English?: Profiles of English Teachers in Action
Appendix B. Knowledge about Mode and Form: What Is a Tragedy?
Appendix C. Practice with Rules of Notice and Rules of Significance
Appendix D. Applying Rules of Notice and Signification
Appendix E. Discovering Rules of Configuration
Appendix F. A Case for Discussion and Written Response
Appendix G. Drawing on Knowledge about Drama: Reading a Shakespeare Play as Performance
Appendix H. Using Language Analysis to “Open” a Novel