Guilford Publications (Guilford Press), founded in 1973, is an independent academic/scholarly press located in midtown Manhattan, NYC, near Penn Station. We publish acclaimed books and periodicals in the areas of psychology, mental health, wellness, education, social sciences, research methods, geography, and other related fields. We offer our employees a collaborative and highly productive work environment, excellent benefits, and opportunities for career development.
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, gender, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, creed, national origin, marital/partnership status, pregnancy, arrest or conviction status, status as a victim of domestic violence, military status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal law.
Operations Project Manager
Guilford is a proudly independent publishing company committed to high-quality academic books and journals. With a staff of 75, Guilford is full of people passionate about what we publish. As the lead project manager, this position will work with leaders across the company on data improvements which facilitate access to vital information about our customers, authors, books, and journals. This person will support company-wide communication tools that structure Guilford’s work culture in a hybrid environment. This position also plays the lead role in monitoring how resellers use data to generate sales and the distribution of our various digital products. The Operations Project Manager will supervise the company’s Data team (currently two talented and experienced staff members) and will report to Guilford’s Director of Administration.
- Project manager for cross-departmental data changes to improve functional use of databases.
- Support Guilford staff in the use of communication tools including Slack, Outlook, Zoom, and VOIP.
- Organize training for database and communication tools.
- Supervise Help Desk and implement continuous improvement processes for tech use.
- Lead metadata and ebook distribution and troubleshoot issues with resellers.
- Oversee data processes in the TM database, and manage TM report distribution/creation including database audits, workflow triggers, production reporting, multi-state sales tax reports.
- Oversee upgrades and troubleshoot functional issues within Access, Acumen, and several other 3rd party databases.
Qualifications / Requirements
- At least three years of database and project management experience preferred.
- Thorough understanding of file structures, design, information retrieval techniques, and database controls.
- A collaborative and roll-up your sleeves mind-set.
- Sensitivity to organizing projects and workflow to meet needs across multiple departments.
- Superior diagnostic, problem-solving, and project management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Proficiency with Access and Crystal report writing desired.
- Experience and interest in book and journal publishing environment a definite plus.
Applicants available to work from our office in NY are preferred; however, applicants interested in working fully remote—only from the specific states of NY, NJ, MD, or MA, due to our company’s current employer tax considerations—will also be considered.
Pay range for this position is $90,000 to $105,000 annually depending on experience. Comprehensive benefits (medical, dental, vision, disability, 401k, pre-tax benefits, professional development opportunities) are offered.
To Apply / Special Instructions
Candidates should send their resume with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the email subject line, include the title of the position, “Operations Project Manager.”
Subsidiary Rights Associate
Guilford has an excellent opportunity in our Subsidiary Rights Department. Known around the world for publishing excellent books in Psychology, Education, and Research Methods for professionals and the general reader, Guilford’s works are highly sought after by foreign publishers, researchers, and audio book publishers. The Subsidiary Rights Associate is responsible for administrative functions in the Subsidiary Rights Department to help Guilford keep information flowing to our world-wide publishing partners. It’s a position that offers great learning opportunities in the business of independent publishing.
- Liaise with foreign publishers on translation requests and assist with permission requests.
- Create and track contracts for subsidiary rights deals.
- Correspond regularly with authors, foreign publishers, and other partners to provide information on new titles and follow up on existing contracts.
- Assist and negotiate translation licenses.
- Process requests for materials needed for translations and audiobook projects.
Qualifications / Requirements
- The ideal candidate will have two years of work experience.
- Exceptional organizational, administrative, and communication skills.
- Flexibility, adaptability, and a can-do attitude.
- Knowledge of MS Word and Excel.
- The ability to maintain schedules is required.
- Experience in book publishing is preferred.
- Knowledge of multiple languages is a plus.
This position is based out of our New York City office. This is not a remote work only opportunity. This position is a hybrid position and will be required to work from Guilford’s New York City office for 2 to 3 days per week. (It may also be worked fully from the office.) In the interest of maintaining a healthy and safe workplace, Guilford Publications requires COVID vaccination in the workplace and all employees must show proof of vaccination or request an accommodation based on a characteristic covered by the NYC Human Rights Law.
Pay range for this position is $23.00 to $24.10 per hour with eligibility for over-time. Comprehensive benefits (medical, dental, vision, disability, 401k, pre-tax benefits, professional development opportunities) are offered.
To Apply / Special Instructions
Guilford is a company full of people who are passionate about the titles we publish. When you apply for a position, we want to know why you want to work here and why you’re interested in this job. Candidates should send their resume with a cover letter to email@example.com. In the email subject line, please include “Subsidiary Rights Associate.”